$28.5M upgrade for Fremont Street Experience to move forward
February 14, 2018 10:17 AM
by Robert Mann
A planned $28.5 million upgrade for the Fremont Street Experience video canopy in Downtown Las Vegas is expected to move forward with a $9.5 million contribution from The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority (LVCVA).
The LVCVA board of directors unanimously approved the grant earlier this week and is making the expenditure through the city, which owns the light canopy attraction and contracts with the Fremont Street Experience to operate it.
The planned upgrade will brighten the series of massive screens from 4.2 million pixels to 16.4 million.
LVCVA President and CEO Rossi Ralenkotter said the $9.5 million will come from a $10 million capital expense account that was budgeted for future LVCVA land acquisitions.
Fremont Street Experience President and CEO Patrick Hughes said plans call for the attraction to get “floor-to-ceiling” renovations over 14 months. He said he’ll present more details on the planned improvements in the future, but did reveal increased interactivity with visitors is one planned component.
Business in the downtown area has been trending upwards in recent months with increasing gambling revenue and the improved cooperation of stakeholders in the historic gambling and entertainment district.