Thursday’s Los Alamitos Pick Six should be huge

It won’t take a single winning ticket to collect a possible life-changing jackpot score in the Los Alamitos Pick Six Thursday.

Due to the current shut down at Golden Gate Fields and the influx of horses shipping down to Los Alamitos, field sizes have risen dramatically at the current L.A. County Fair meet. The evenly-matched fields have resulted in some monster payoffs, including average payoffs in the $1 Pick Fours of $6,256 and an average payoff in the $.50 Pick Five of $12,110 going into closing week.

Nobody was able to hit the traditional style $2 minimum Pick Six last week, creating a carryover of $145,798 going into the Thursday card. Tickets with six winners will chop up 70 percent of the new Pick Six handle (after takeout) in addition to the money already in the carryover, effectively discounting or eliminating the takeout altogether for the horseplayer. Tickets with five winners will collect a share of the remaining 30 percent.

Everyone can use a little extra holiday shopping cash, so here is a breakdown of the Pick Six races at Los Alamitos on Thursday with some hefty-priced horses mixed in that could lead to a massive payoff:

Race 4: Ever Vigilant looked like she needed her last coming off a layoff when dueling between horses. She is drawn outside main pace rival Well Done Sally in this spot. Pasito needs a couple of scratches to draw in, but comes off near miss over the track and looks like the late threat. Apache Pass made a good mid-race move before flattening out going 6-1/2 furlongs at Del Mar last time. The cutback in distance could be the key. (1,3,12)

Race 5: Spread race in the Pick Six. Long shot Lady Chrome has been facing much tougher at Golden Gate, including when pressing a fast pace vs. the boys last time. She has upset potential on the drop. Purdue has speed and a good outside post, but her 1-for-14 lifetime record makes her hard to trust. Give Me a Hint gets right pace scenario for her late run, but is five furlongs too short for her best? Brilliant Bird is fresh, likes to win races, and can handle dirt. (2,3,5,9)

Race 6: The race looks like it should produce a fast pace and could fall apart late. Debt Monger has the right stalking style to take advantage of the pace scenario and fits on numbers. He should be a square price on the raise. Black Storm has been a late-running sprinter by trade, but his closing style fits the race shape and the jockey/trainer combo of Tyler Baze/Jeff Mullins is top notch. (2,3)

Race 7: The vast majority of this field doesn’t like to pass other horses. Bella Figura drops in class, tries dirt for the first time, and should be forwardly placed from the rail. That may be enough to get her home on top. Unchain Her Heart drops in class, stretches out for the first time, and could shake loose early. She could get brave if left alone. (1,2)

Check Out More Horse Racing Here

Race 8: This looks like a good race to take a stand. Captain Scotty and Mr. Lovejoy have one way to go — as fast as they can as far as they can. Oil Can Knight was out of his element routing Nov. 14, a race that can be tossed out. He won sprinting with an outside trip pressing the pace two back and should get a similar trip today. He could help boost the payoff in the Pick Six as a pricey single. (6)

Race 9: The two main players appear to be Coco’s Joy and Squared Shady. The former finished behind the latter on the turf Nov. 14, but there are many reasons to think she can turn the tables. First, her trainer Eric Kruljac is much more effective with second-time starters. Second, she gets to race over her home track. And finally, she draws a favorable post while Squared Shady is stuck inside. Use both if you can afford to on your ticket, but I am willing to single Coco’s Joy and live with the result. (7)

Cost of the ticket?: 3 horses X 4 horses X 2 horses X 2 horses X 1 horse X 1 horse X $2 = $96.

Lindo Report Play for Gaming Today: Los Alamitos Friday, Race 8 — Single Me Out (No. 1). Cal-bred comes off a series of rough trips which helps to cover up his improving pattern. He has a good race over the track and may be able to run down the leaders at an inflated price.