No more gaming tables added in Macau in 2013

Feb 4, 2013 6:37 PM

Except for the previously announced 200 gaming tables promised to Las Vegas Sands Corp. (LVS) and an extra 50 tables being awarded to Galaxy, there will be no more gaming tables added to any casinos in Macau during 2013.

That was the announcement on Friday from Francis Tam, secretary for Macau’s Economy and Finance

The announcement continues the Macau government’s intentions of restricting the growth of gaming in the former Portuguese enclave that has become a haven for Chinese gamblers.

“The government promised Sands 400 tables upon its Sands Cotai Central project starting full operation,” Tam said in making the announcement. “As the new batch of 2,000 hotel rooms were formally opened earlier this week, the government has to meet it promise,” he said.

“As for Galaxy, the government promised 450 tables, and 400 of them were already put in place at the completion of the resort’s phase one project,” he added.

Ray Poirier is the longtime executive editor at GamingToday.

Contact Ray at [email protected].

 GamingToday on Facebook      and         GamingToday on Twitter