Melco Crown Entertainment has been told that it will be able to have just 200 gaming tables and 1,233 gaming tables for the company’s $3.2 billion Studio City Resort when it opens Oct.27.
The Macau government has told the company that it can add another 50 tables in January. Melco is getting 100 more tables than the government gave Galaxy Entertainment for the opening of its two projects back in May.
A Union Gaming Group analyst said the table total allocated to Melco was at the upper end of the figure that analysts expected the company would receive.
But it is almost certainly disappointing to Melco’s billionaire chairman Lawrence Ho who had hoped to get 400 tables. He had previously said that he would be disappointed if the company did not get something close to 400.
The news Tuesday about the Melco table allocation came in the wake of the anger and frustration voiced by Wynn Resorts Chairman Steve Wynn who said the idea of a limit on tables is a “preposterous” approach to regulating an industry that has made the multibillion-dollar commitments that the casino industry has made.
Wynn expected to open the $4 billion Wynn Palace next March but he does not yet know how many tables the government will allow him to have. He said the government is taking an approach could leads to increased unemployment in Macau, something no one including government leaders want to see.
Phil Hevener has been writing about the Nevada gaming business for more than 30 years. Email: [email protected]com.