NFL settles suit with youth charity

Jun 20, 2017 3:00 AM

The NFL has reached a settlement with the youth charity that sued the league for fraud over how it enforced its gambling policy at a Las Vegas-area casino in 2015, according to USA TODAY Sports.

“All I am at liberty to say is that the case has settled,” Julie Pettit, an attorney for the charity, told USA TODAY Sports Friday. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

The charity, Strikes for Kids, sued the league last year in federal court, claiming it was misled by the league and lost revenue after being forced to relocate its Sunset Station bowling event for kids. The league objected to the location of the event, featuring 25 NFL players, because the lanes are part of a casino.

An NFL lawyer notified the charity, prior to the event, it would be in violation of the league’s gambling policy, which forbids players and personnel from making promotional appearances at casinos.

In response, the charity moved to the Brooklyn Bowl on The Strip, a facility bowling alley with far fewer lanes. The NFL said this location was permissible despite its proximity to the LINQ casino promenade.