The Yankees have moved from “off to a great start to the MLB season” to “threatening to break records” territory. New York has 59 wins, and we haven’t reached the All-Star break. Should they maintain this pace, the team would challenge the single-season record of 116 wins.
But as someone once said: “there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics.” All the numbers so far and the projections are simply calculator stuff. Like a straw at Starbucks: it’s not guaranteed.
The Yankees are in Boston this weekend from Thursday to Sunday to play their hated rivals the Red Sox in a four-gamer, and DraftKings New York is offering a fantastic promo fans can use to bet on the series: a $50 free bet with a $5 deposit and a 20% deposit match bonus up to $1,000 when using our exclusive link.
This is the first meeting of these two teams since the opening games of the season. But every time the Sox and Yanks meet, it’s a spectacle. There may be 14 games between the teams in the standings, but the animosity is always high when these two American League powerhouses meet.
$50 Free Bet for Yankees vs. Red Sox from DraftKings NY
How do you maximize your betting on the Yankees this weekend? Get two bonuses from DraftKings NY Sportsbook.
Free Bet Offer: Make a $5 deposit and receive a $50 Free Bet
Deposit Match Bonus: Get a 20% deposit match (up to $1,000)
How it Works
Simply open your new DraftKings account and make a minimum $5 deposit. Place a bet and get a $50 free bet credit as your reward.
DraftKings NY will match your initial deposit up to 20%. That means if you deposit $500, you’ll get $100 from DraftKings. Or put in $5,000 and receive $1,000 match deposit. That’s hard to resist.
Yankees/Red Sox Pitching Matchups, July 7-10
The Red Sox have decisions to make for their rotation, as three starters are on the IL (Rich Hill, Nathan Eovaldi, and Garrett Whitlock), and Chris Sale is still not back from his off-season injury woes. Possibilities include using an opener, as manager Alex Cora did last week with Austin Davis, or handing a start to a young pitcher on the 40-man roster like Connor Seabold, who has not looked comfortable in two spot starts. Eovaldi (4-2, 3.16 in 12 starts), who was Boston’s Opening Day starter, could get the ball for Saturday’s game. He tossed two innings against batters on Tuesday and felt no pain.
- Thursday, July 7, 7:10 p.m. ET: Gerrit Cole (7-2, 2.99) vs. Josh Winckowski (3-2, 3.12)
- Friday, July 7, 7:10 p.m. ET: Nestor Cortes (7-3, 2.44) vs. TBD
- Saturday, July 7, 7:15 p.m. ET: Jordan Montgomery (3-2, 3.19) vs. TBD
- Sunday, July 7, 7:08 p.m. ET: Jameson Taillon (9-2, 3.63) vs. Nick Pivetta (8-6, 3.68)
The Sox could be licking their chops against Cole at Fenway. In his six starts at the ballpark, the team has hit seven home runs against him, and the right-hander has a 5.06 ERA. Yankee starter Cortes has surrendered a .926 OPS and has an ugly 8.16 ERA in seven starts against Boston.
Rookie Winckowski is making his first career start against the Bronx Bombers. The big right-hander has used his change-up and sinker to keep the ball in the park, allowing just one home run in 26 innings.
Register and bet Yankees vs. Red Sox series: $1,050 in sign-up promos from DraftKings
Yankees vs Red Sox Series Notes
- The runs total has gone under in four of Boston’s last five games.
- The runs total has gone under in six of Boston’s last eight games against the Yanks at Fenway.
- The Yanks and Sox will meet for three games July 15-17 at Yankee Stadium just before the All-Star break.
- The Sox won the season series in 2021, 10 games to nine.
- In 2019-20, the Yankees dominated the rivalry, posting a 23-6 record against Boston.
- New York was 4-6 at Fenway Park in 2021.
- Xander Bogaerts has a career average of .464 in 28 career at-bats against Jordan Montgomery.
- Rafael Devers has two homers off Nestor Cortes in only six career at-bats.
- Aaron Judge is batting just .179 at Fenway Park in his career.
- Yankee infielder Josh Donaldson has a .307 career average with a team-best 7 HR and 967 OPS at Fenway Park.
Yankees/Red Sox Rivalry History
- 1920: Boston sells Babe Ruth to the Yankees. NY wins seven pennants in the next 13 seasons with The Great Bambino.
- 1949: Yankees eliminate Red Sox from pennant contention on final day of season.
- 1978: Red Sox squander a 14-game lead and lose AL East division title on last day of season when they are defeated by Yanks at Fenway Park.
- 1999: Yankees and Red Sox meet for first time in playoffs. Yanks defeat Boston 4-1 in ALCS. The century closes with the Yanks having won
- 2003: Yankees defeat Red Sox in epic seven-game series in ALCS. Series includes two bench-clearing brawls.
- 2004: Red Sox come back from 0-3 deficit and defeat Yankees in seven games in ALCS.
- 2018: Red Sox defeat NY in AL Division Series, including a 16-1 rout at Yankee Stadium. Boston wins its fourth World Series title a few weeks later. The Yanks have just one title since 2000.
- 2021: Boston defeats Yankees in Wild Card Game at Fenway Park.
Sign up to bet: DraftKings has fantastic offer for Yankees-Red Sox series