Expanding its reach across North America, @DraftKings announced the launch of @DKSportsbook and @DKCasino online products in Ontario, Canada. Customers will have access to our best-in-class sports betting experience and casino offerings. Full release: https://t.co/R4laEv73Me
— DraftKings News (@DraftKingsNews) May 18, 2022
Best Ontario Sports Betting Sites Available
Even before DraftKings went live in the province, several new Ontario sports betting apps launched last month. Here are some of our favorites.
- BetMGM Sportsbook Ontario >> See welcome offer here
- Caesars Sportsbook Ontario >> See welcome offer here and use code TODAYCAN
- BetRivers Sportsbook Ontario >> See welcome offer here
What Happened To DraftKings DFS?
With the launch of DraftKings Sportsbook and DraftKings Casino, Ontario sports fans no longer have access to the DraftKings DFS product for the foreseeable future. DraftKings confirmed this in a letter to customers a few days before the launch announcement.
While Ontario’s internet gaming regulations rope DFS in with other types of online sports betting, DraftKings pulled its DFS products on April 1, shortly before regulated online gambling companies went live in Ontario. DraftKings had offered its DFS products in Ontario for several years. But the new sports betting regulations would require three things from DraftKings DFS:
- 25% tax rate
- $100,000 license fee
- Limit DFS contests to Ontarians
The last requirement was the dealbreaker for DraftKings. DFS contests work best when the maximum number of players can compete against each other. By requiring DFS contests to be between Ontarians, the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) struck a major blow against DFS companies.
DraftKings decided it was better to leave Ontario than to limit the players available for its Ontarian customers to play against. Its only major competitor, FanDuel, drew the same conclusion.
Ontario DFS players will have already noticed that they no longer have access to DraftKings or FanDuel, and they shouldn’t expect to get these DFS platforms back until AGCO’s regulations adjust to accommodate DFS again.
DraftKings Sportsbook Ontario Expected Welcome Offer
Historically, DraftKings has offered a deposit match for new bettors. First, bettors would make a deposit. That first deposit usually sets the number of site credits that bettors are eligible for. Bettors should be sure to understand the offer terms before putting money in their sportsbook accounts.
To receive site credit, bettors have to wager the money they deposit. When bettors place wagers, DraftKings releases the site credits at its advertised rate. Few bettors will redeem deposit offers in full. But these offers can pad bettor accounts in their early wagers. When the DraftKings Ontario launch finally comes, Ontarians will be able to visit DraftKings for the most up-to-date welcome offer terms.
How To Claim The DraftKings Ontario Offer
To claim DraftKings Ontario’s welcome offer, bettors will have to follow these steps:
- Download the DraftKings app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Click the registration button at the top right corner of the screen.
- Fill the requested information in, which includes a date of birth, valid address, and likely a SIN.
- Check the offer terms and conditions to see what role the first deposit plays in redeeming site credit. First deposits often set the cap for the number of site credits that bettors can earn from a deposit or match offer. But this condition varies across offers.
- Opt-in for the welcome offer if needed. DraftKings may automatically opt bettors into the offer, but that condition varies across offers, too.
- Make the first deposit, bearing in mind its role in earning site credits.
- Make the first bet. Enjoy the winnings or roll with the losses as necessary. Do not chase the losses.
When DraftKings Sportsbook goes live in Ontario, this whole process should only take a few minutes. No major sportsbook brand wants to make it hard for new customers to spend money.
What To Bet On At DraftKings Sportsbook
DraftKings Sportsbook is known for its large sports selection, and most Ontario bettors will find lines on the sports that interest them the most. Whether bettors are eying NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL, golf, or many other sports, DraftKings offers game lines, futures, and props.
Alternatives To DraftKings
These are other sportsbooks available for your action in Ontario.
BetMGM: A stalwart of the sports betting and gaming industry, BetMGM offers a user-friendly mobile app and a healthy menu of wagering options. Read more about the BetMGM Ontario sports betting app here.
Caesars Sportsbook: A top sports betting brand stateside, Caesars offers an easy-to-navigate sports betting app with competitive odds pricing, and markets on just about any sport a bettor can think of. Read more about Caesars Ontario here.
BetRivers: A generous deposit match with just a 1x playthrough requirement, BetRivers also puts forth a fantastic sports betting alternative for Ontario sports fans. Check out our review of BetRivers Ontario.