1) I have a tie between Union Rags and Gemologist, I believe Rags is the most gifted of all the runners, he has a quick turn of foot but jockey Leproux will need to send a little earlier to get the jump, if he waits to long the race could be lost.
My good friend Lenny Shaw who is a jeweler and who has attended 40 or so straight Derby’s told me the other day that this horse Gemologist is as game an animal as he has ever seen and could be the second coming of Seattle Slew and that him being a gemologist has nothing to do with his thinking, yea right but I do agree.
2) HANSEN, if he wins the Bluegrass stakes jockey Ramon Dominguez will most likely choose him over Alpha and that says a lot, the white tornado can rate or be sent and he is a serious player with one of the best on his back, so how will get the leg up on Alpha?
3) I’ll Have Another, I love the fact that owner Reddman and trainer O’Neill has stuck with Mario Guterieze who showed up at Santa Anita with no agent just a will to ride in the big time and I believe he has the guts and courage to get the job done, remember Stew Elliot. I also love the way the O’Neill has trained him.
4) Tie between Creative Cause and Take Charge Indy, I love Rosario but every time his hits this colt with the whip he shies away and it cost him as it did in the Santa Anita Derby, if he can just use his hands in the Derby he will be ok but that is a big if for this colt who likes to grind it out.
Calvin Borel rides the colt Take Charge Indy and that is all we need to say about the horse that beat Union Rags in the Florida Derby
5) DADDY NOSE BEST IS MY PRICE PLAY IN THE DERBY, but the question is who will ride him, this is one gutsy colt who will be a great price, with the right luck he could pop, lets see who rides.
The ones at the top are so close and a lot will depend on post, track condition and price, I doubt you will see a short price in this years Derby as the chalk will be around 5 or 6-1