Tonight in Denver, eight sluggers will compete in the annual Home Run Derby, presented by T-Mobile, as part of MLB All-Star Week festivities in Colorado.
The Home Run Derby is arguably as popular or more popular than the signature event of the week, the All-Star Game. That’s because the game itself has shrunk in competitive importance, since MLB removed the World Series home field advantage that was previously given to the league winner. Meanwhile, an influx of young, dynamic players has embraced the home run derby as an opportunity to show off their style. And since home runs flying hundreds of feet never gets old, the Home Run Derby is still thrilling. unlike the NBA’s Slam Dunk Contest, which long ago lost luster with boring repeats of the same moves, spins, and contrived dunks.
At 8 PM EST from Coors Field, the field of eight will compete for a total prize package of $2.5 million, and baseball will seek to crown their next King of The Long Ball. The HR Derby can be seen live on ESPN.
2021 T-Mobile Home Run Derby Odds
|Player||WynnBET||FanDuel Sportsbook||BetMGM Sportsbook|
Here are the first-round matchups:
- Shohei Ohtani vs. Juan Soto
- Salvador Perez vs. Pete Alonso
- Matt Olson vs. Trey Mancini
- Joey Gallo vs. Trevor Story
Ohtani is the favorite, with his long, powerful left-handed stroke. A two-way superstar, Ohtani is doing things we’ve never seen in baseball, and if there’s a crowd favorite beyond former Rockie Trevor Story, it’s the Japanese slugger.
Don’t sleep on Juan Soto, who has awesome power and a flair for the dramatic. I’m not saying he will defeat Ohtani, but Soto could be a contender for longest home run. (See promo prop bet opportunities listed below)
Of the other competitors, Alonso (the defending champion) and Gallo are in the best groove based on regular-season performance. Gallo is a streaky slugger who hits the ball FAR, so if he gets into his zone, he could threaten the airline traffic in the thin Denver sky.
I see Olson, Mancini, and Perez as long shots. Story will get lots of love from the Colorado crowd, seeing as he played there for several years, but he’s still an underdog to survive his matchup against Gallo.
Visit our Home Run Derby Preview for details on how the competition is structured.
WynnBET’s Home Run Derby Promos
As part of their celebration of MLB All-Star Week, WynnBET is offering numerous ways to wager on Monday’s Home Run Derby:
- Pick the outright winner of the T-Mobile Home Run Derby
- Pick the league of the HR Derby winner
- Pick one or all of the individual first round matchups
- Total HR Hit by the champion: Over 65.5 (-110) / Under 65.5 (110)
- Longest HR Distance (feet): Over 512.5 (-110) / Under 5125.5 (-110)
- Most HR in Individual Round: Over 27.5 (110) / Under 27.5 (-110)
- Choose the player who will hit the longest home run of the HR Derby: current odds are Ohtani (+275), Gallo (+350), Alonso (+375), Story (+500), Olson (+550), Soto (+600), Perez (+650), Mancini (+750).