College football bettors are in for a treat on New Year’s Day with five games featuring 10 of the best teams the sport has to offer. If the early betting lines are any indication, a great day of college football action is on tap for January 1, 2022.
- Penn State is a slight favorite (between -2. 5 at Caesars and -3 at DraftKings) over Arkansas in the Outback Bowl, despite the Razorbacks being the ranked team with a better record.
- Oklahoma State heads to the Fiesta Bowl after losing to Baylor in the Big 12 title game. The early line has the Cowboys as 2.5-point underdogs against Notre Dame
- Following a disappointing performance in the Big Ten title game, the Iowa Hawkeyes opened as 1-point favorites in the Citrus Bowl over a nine-win Kentucky team.
- Demolishing Oregon in the Pac-12 title game earned Utah a trip to the Rose Bowl, where the Utes opened touchdown underdogs to Ohio State, before a move in their direction to +6.5 throughout the betting market.
- Baylor’s thrilling win over Oklahoma State in the Big 12 title game earned the Bears a trip to the Sugar Bowl to face Ole Miss. The opening line has the defensive-minded Bears as 1- to 1.5-point underdogs to the offensive-minded Rebels.
The Sugar Bowl rounds out the action on New Year’s Day, but there is still one other bowl game before the CFP National Championship Game. LSU and Kansas State face off in the Texas Bowl on Tuesday, Jan. 4. The Wildcats opened as 2.5-point underdogs to the Tigers, who will play under interim head coach Brad Davis.
From a bettors’ perspective, the New Year’s Day slate is full of competitive matchups that should result in action-packed, exciting games.
Four of the five games have point spreads of a field goal or less. With spreads that close, one play could decide the game — and the outcome of your bet! Picking winners will not be easy, but don’t worry, we are here to help. We will be posting betting previews for each game as we get closer to kickoff.