Cast of thousands brings an epic sequel: Castillo-Corrales 2

Jul 26, 2005 3:11 AM

The fight that many boxing experts called one of the best in history returns for a second go-around.

"Castillo-Corrales has been the rematch everyone has talked about since May 7," said Chuck Esposito, assistant VP of race and sports book operations at Caesars Palace. "That match made fight fans out of nonfight fans. The event was clamoring for a rematch."

The Diego Corrales-Jose Luis Castillo "Eleventh Round" fight is slated for Oct. 8 at UNLV’s Thomas & Mack Center. The bout came together through Harrah’s Entertainment under the Caesars brandname and in partnership with Wynn Resorts.

Caesars opened Castillo as a 7-5 betting favorite in another Showtime pay per view event.

"Caesars was very happy that the news conference about the rematch was held on the steps of the Colisseum," Esposito said. "There was a tremendous buzz in our book.

"This is an event for the entire city," Esposito said. It feels good to get back in the fight game and be associated with a match of this magnitude."

Corrales won the first fight, stopping Castillo late in the 10th round after being knocked down and having both eyes nearly shut earlier in the round.

"This brings back memories of other historic Caesars rematches like Leonard-Hearns and de la Hoya-Chavez," Esposito said.

”¡ Marco Antonio Barrera will fight Robbie Peden in the "Parade of Champions" on Saturday, Sept. 17 at MGM Grand. It’s an HBO PPV production. — Mark Mayer