NIAGARA FALLS, Ont. With the region enduring one of the worst winters on record, Casino Niagara has turned up the heat on promotions.
While no one at the casino would reveal just how the record snowfall in the Buffalo area has affected business, its clear there has been some impact. Since the casino opened four years ago, winters in these parts have been mild and business brisk for what traditionally had been the off-season for tourists.
But this year, Mother Nature has blanketed the Buffalo area with over 80 inches of snow already and winter only officially began a few days ago, on Dec. 21. The total snowfall is above the entire winter season last year.
Add to the snowfall about three weeks of below-freezing temperatures and wind-chills below zero and you know why area people are doing what economists call burrowing in their homes.
Casino Niagara is putting a million bucks on the line beginning Jan. 8, with a Million Dollar Monday promotion. Each Monday through March 26, Casino Niagara will give away $60,000 in cash and a bonus chance to win up to $1 million.
In this promotion, it pays to be quick because patrons who claim the prize within 30 minutes of the drawing enter a bonus round with a big prize of a cool million dollars.
Although their season is over, the Buffalo Bills are drawing a lot of attention from the bettors. Basically, there are five options:
(1) Who will be the Bills new g.m. replacing John Butler? Favored is Tom Donahoe, former g.m. of the Steelers.
(2) Will owner Ralph Wilson fire coach Wade Phillips? Even money.
(3) Will Phillips fire several of his coaching staff to protect his own fanny? Bet your bippy he will.
(4) Will Doug Flutie start the season as the Bills No. 1 quarterback? If Donahoe is g.m., bet on it!
(5) If Flutie is the No. 1 QB, what will happen to Rob Johnson? Bet on his trade.
(6) Will the Bills keep Wade Phillips as coach?