1. Florida: Gators’ defense showed its bite against inspired Miami. Tennessee figures to be a bigger challenge in two weeks.
2. Georgia: The Dawgs finally get a test at South Carolina. They should make the grade.
3. Oklahoma: The Sooners’ offense is in high gear. Expect no detours in Washington.
4. USC: The Trojans had an extra week of practice. They need to be perfect for huge game with Buckeyes.
5. Ohio St: Were Buckeyes just scrimmaging against Ohio? The real team shows up in L.A.
6. Missouri: Gary Pinkel takes his offensive juggernaut out to Nevada.
7. Auburn: The Tigers are prepped to avenge last year’s loss to Mississippi St.
8. LSU: The game with Troy was postponed. North Texas won’t be so fortunate.
9. Texas: The Longhorns were nearly sidetracked by UTEP. They get back on course vs. Arkansas.
10. S. Florida: The Bulls out-muscled an inspired UCF squad. They need to regain their focus for Kansas.
11. Penn St: The Nittany Lions travel to Syracuse for another patsy-drudging.
12. Wisconsin: The Badgers scored 51 straight points vs. Marshall. That won’t happen at Fresno.
13. E. Carolina: The Pirates are the real deal, as Tulane will discover on Saturday.
14. Texas Tech: The Red Raiders were slowed down at Nevada, but can run-and-shoot down SMU.
15. Oregon: So who needs Dennis Dixon? Ducks migrate to Purdue for another scoring feast.
16. W. Forest: Coach Jim Grobe pulled off another miracle win vs. Ole Miss. Expect another nail-biter against Florida State in Tallahassee.
17. California: Cal has scored 104 points vs. two BCS teams. The dancing Bears take their aerial circus to Maryland.
18. Kansas: The Jayhawks are catching South Florida in a good (letdown) spot.
19. Arizona St: Sun Devils get a tune-up (UNLV) before facing Georgia.
20. Utah: The Utes will savor their payback win over UNLV. Then it’s stats-padding time at Utah State.
21. BYU: Cougars got lucky at Washington. Can the officials bail them out with UCLA?
22. Alabama: Nick Saban’s defense has allowed one TD in two games. Sorry ‘bout that, Western Kentucky.
23. Okla St: The win over Houston was solid. Cowboys get a breather against Missouri State.
24. Arizona: New Mexico will be the Wildcats’ last cupcake before facing a beefy UCLA.
25. Fresno St: The Bulldogs host Wisconsin, an opportunity to prove the win over Rutgers was no fluke.