Stratosphere wins delay on proposed thrill ride

October 23, 2001 8:46 AM
by

share

The Stratosphere bought some time last week in a bid to salvage its $20 million thrill ride.

With Mayor Oscar Goodman out of town, and neighbors clamoring against the project, the hotel-casino persuaded the City Council to delay a vote until Nov. 7.

But Councilman Gary Reese, who represents the Downtown area, said he doesn’t know if the postponement will do the Carl Icahn-owned resort any good. “There doesn’t seem to be much middle ground’’ between the hotel and the neighbors, he said. “They just want it to go away.’’

Still, Stratosphere representatives want to meet with community groups in an attempt to save the ride, which would run up to 120 mph as it shoots over Las Vegas Boulevard. Neighbors have blasted it as a noisy eyesore.

Source say hotel planners may be considering an alternate route running south down the boulevard to assuage rattled residents, most of whom live north and east of the tower.