Time and again, video poker players ask what they’re doing wrong. While few are willing to play in a manner as I do with short hit-and-run wins, there are a good many rules to follow that can turn things around very quickly for most players.
Most of these guidelines are based on common sense.
Playing video poker has been one of the better events in my life, as I’ve not only overcome the feeling that I have to play whenever I get the opportunity ”” I’ve played comparatively very little over the past six years, and I’ve won far more than I ever lost in the early years of my addiction.
Thus, I’d like to share with you again the method to my success ”” 10 rules of just how it is that I no longer deposit most of my disposable income into casino accounts:
1. The only way anyone can be capable of winning on a consistent basis is through unwavering discipline. Learn it, or keep losing.
2. Accept that every time you play you are trying to win money. You are always playing only in short-term bursts. There is no theoretical long-term for humans. Losing is never an acceptable option.
3. Always take the proper bankroll with you for your play level. This is not some mythical mathematical figure created in the clouds. It is simply that which you can comfortably afford to lose based on 400 credits of the highest denomination you intend to play.
4. Never use a casino ATM. Never obtain or sign up for casino credit. These are casino tools used to take more of your money than you were prepared to give up when you came in the doors, and they very effectively prey on the weak.
5. Always play with a clear mind, a clean slate, and in an alert mode. You’ll have plenty of time to worry about your problems when you get home. And be confident. The old saying "scared money never won a dime" is much truer than you think.
6. Always go into your sessions knowing ”” and believing ”” that regardless of what game you choose to play with whatever pay tables, percentages are always on the side of the casino. Short term strategy easily overcomes this house edge because they’re betting on the long term and you are not.
7. Learn to play how you want to and not how the casino expects you to. In reality and by a great margin, most players are ahead at some point in their session ”” whether it’s 5 cents or $5,000, yet almost all of these players go home a loser. Train yourself to set goals and quit when attained.
8. Understand the powerful temptations of the slot club card. Use it wisely, as less than 1% of all players do. Did you come into the casino to win money ”” or pile up the points?
9. Do not become overwhelmed by casino distractions. Come in, win your goal, and leave. Do you enjoy all the excitement and the incredibly inviting atmosphere? Don’t worry; it will still be there tomorrow. Are you envious that you’ve only won $50 while the fool next to you hit a Royal, and you feel you can too if you stayed another hour? Think about all the times in the past when you’ve done that. Where did it get you?
10. Plan, be prepared, and always do what you said you were going to do before walking in those casino doors. Winners eventually learn this inside out. Losers easily become mesmerized by exciting casino action, and are some of the worlds best at redundant wishing.