DraftKings' request for TRO denied by judge
November 16, 2015 4:58 PM
by Phil Hevener
DraftKings said Monday it is seeking a temporary restraining order in the state’s Supreme Court to keep the New York Attorney General from enforcing his ban on the company doing business with New York residents.
“We also requested an expedited hearing to resolve this matter as quickly as possible,” the fantasy sports company said in a statement issued Monday morning. “We believe this TRO is necessary to protect DraftKings’ business while we pursue our legal actions to prevent the attorney general from denying New Yorkers the right to continue playing the daily fantasy sports games they love.”
But their hopes were shot down late Monday when a New York judge denied their TRO request and set Wednesday, Nov. 25, as the date for arguments to be heard.
New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman took action against the New York-based DraftKings and the Massachusetts-based FanDuel last week saying their daily fantasy sports business is illegal under New York law.
Massachusetts officials have said they are reviewing the situation but appear to have kept a door open to crafting regulations that will allow the companies to continue doing business there.
Las Vegas attorneys who have been following the fantasy sports saga say action is necessary by the companies in New York because the cease and desist order by the New York AG is the sort of action that could influence other states, just as Nevada’s action against the two fantasy sports giants has been widely cited.
Nevada’s Gaming Control Board has said fantasy sports companies must acquire sportsbook licenses if they want to bring their business model to Nevada.
Phil Hevener has been writing about the Nevada gaming business for more than 30 years. Email: PhilHevener@GamingToday.com.