Exclusive Content   Join Now

It’s Rousey in 1 round again at UFC 170

Feb 23, 2014 7:50 AM

Ronda Rousey wins in round 1 of UFC 170 Word had it that Ronda Rousey would be involved in a different and toughest fight of her unbeaten career in UFC. Well it was different, her win didn’t come by armbar.

The main event became another first round ending.  A Rousey knee to the midsection caused former ex-Olympic wrestler Sara McMann to collapse to the canvas and the championship fight was quickly stopped, just 66 seconds in.

It was a solid knee, but didn’t seem to be the type that should have stopped a championship fight that quickly. Rousey landed a knee earlier that forced McMann back to the cage.

Rousey followed with an elbow that landed well and then threw the second knee that dropped McMann in a heap before referee Herb Dean stopped it. The stoppage may have been premature, as it didn’t give McMann much of a chance to defend herself and/or get up, but she didn’t appear to be making a great effort.

Rousey kept her UFC women’s bantamweight title and went to 9-0, winning for the first time without the use of her famous and deadly arm bar. But it left the crowd in the arena angry and, for the second fight in a row, it booed loudly as Rousey was being interviewed in the cage.

The last time, when Rousey submitted Miesha Tate with an arm bar in December, the crowd was angered when Rousey refused Tate’s offer to shake hands. This time, it seemed the crowd wasn’t happy with the way it ended and took its anger out on Rousey.

But McMann, who won a silver medal in wrestling in the 2004 Olympics, never put up much of a fight. The pace was quick at the beginning, as Rousey charged from her corner. McMann landed a straight right early, but then didn’t do much.

She allowed Rousey to bully her up against the cage and didn’t seem to put up much of an effort to get off. It led to one of the most disappointing main events on a UFC card in quite a while.

In the co-main event, Patrick Cummins’ fairy tale ended amid a flurry of powerful punches from Daniel Cormier, who needed just 79 seconds to dispose of the ex-barista.

Cummins, a two-time All-American at Penn State, took the bout on nine days notice when Rashad Evans pulled out because of a serious knee injury.

Cummins was working at a coffee shop in Dana Point, Calif., at the time he was offered the match by UFC president Dana White and began a whirlwind media tour.

Contact us at [email protected].

Like GamingToday on Facebook GamingToday on Facebook      and        Follow GamingToday on Twitter GamingToday on Twitter