Santa Anita will again offer fans a shot at $1 million on Saturday, as the track’s popular $1 million St. Pat’s Horseshoe Pitch will be conducted between races. All fans attending on-track this Saturday are encouraged to fill out a free entry form no later than the fifth race in order to have a shot at being one of five finalists selected to take a “pitch” at a perfect ringer following the seventh race.
History was made at Santa Anita six years ago, when a lucky fan tossed a perfect ringer, setting off a wild celebration that was captured live on HRTV.
“We are celebrating St. Patrick’s Day a couple of days early on Saturday and it’s always nice to give our fans a chance to win a million dollars,” said Nate Newby, Santa Anita’s Vice President, Marketing. “This is always one of our most popular promotions. It’s great fun and it’s amazing how it brings people together.”
In addition to the $1 million Horseshoe Pitch, 12 oz. Bud Light “Green” will be offered for just $3, and Jameson Irish whiskey shots will be available at $5 a throw, throughout the day.
A nine-race card is planned for Saturday, with the traditional $100,000 Irish O’Brien Stakes, for California-bred fillies and mares at 6 ½ furlongs down the hillside turf course, serving as the day’s co-feature race.
Details for the $1 million St. Pat’s Pitch are as follows:
– Following Saturday’s fifth race, 20 finalists will be drawn.
– Following this initial draw, five entrants, whose names are selected in the order in which they were drawn, will be selected for the Pitch.
– These five people must be present and be properly identified in order to participate.
– The deadline for proper identification is 15 minutes prior to seventh race post time.
– Following the running of Saturday’s seventh race, the five finalists will be led onto the main track, directly in front of the winner’s circle for their chance to win $1 million.
– A ringer is worth $1 million. Any participant coming within 10 feet of the pin wins one thousand dollars. If none of the contestants pitches a ringer, the closest horseshoe to the pin will win $5,000.
First post time on Saturday is at 12:30 p.m. Santa Anita’s admission gates will open at 10:30 a.m. For more information on the $1 million St. Pat’s Horseshoe Pitch at Santa Anita, please visit santaanita.com.
Contact us at [email protected].