Santa Anita gets Pick 6 payoff change

Apr 4, 2017 3:06 AM

The California Horse Racing Board has approved a recent request from Santa Anita to change the rules regarding payoffs in the Pick Six in the event of a surface switch after the wager has started.

Starting this Thursday, the 15 percent of the pool designated to the single ticket jackpot pool will be redirected to the ticketholders with all six winners, or in the case of no winner, into the carryover pool for the following day. This change results in 85% of the net pool to be distributed to those ticketholders with six winners, with the remaining 15 percent going into the consolation pool.

The rule change was requested following the March 5 card when the final race was taken off the turf just 45 minutes prior to the scheduled start of the race and after the Pick Six was well under way. Because the wager had started, all selections in the final race were considered winners under the rule in effect at that time. Considering there were just 17 live tickets going into the final race on March 5, it was possible a single combination and jackpot payoff could have been alive to one or more of the entrants, but the rule basically eliminated any chance for the jackpot payoff.

The amount of money assigned to the single ticket jackpot pool on March 5 was just over $15,000. Under the new rule, that new money would have been paid out to the ticketholders with six winners that day.

It is a shame it took an incident like the surface switch on March 5 to generate the change, but the result is a much more equitable solution for the horseplayer.

Explain this to me

The Stronach Group owns both Gulfstream Park and Santa Anita. This past Sunday was closing day of the “Champions Meet” at Gulfstream Park that runs from December through early April. As a result, Gulfstream Park had mandatory payouts in all of their wagers to end that meet, including a mandatory payout in their $.20 Rainbow Six that had a carryover pool of $1.911 million going into Sunday. The mandatory payout resulted in a single day handle in the Rainbow Six of $7.33 million and a payoff for each $.20 winning ticket of $48,881.

This Sunday April 9 is the final day of the Santa Anita winter meet. The Spring/Summer meet will begin Thursday, April 16 and run through the 4th of July.

To my surprise I just found out there will be NO mandatory payouts this Sunday and all wagers will roll into the “new” meet. Given that Santa Anita has a Pick Six carryover of $133,546 and a single ticket Pick Six Jackpot carryover of $590,443 into Thursday, the possibility was there for a similar Pick Six bonanza handle this Sunday if the rules in California were the same as the rules in Florida. This is just another example of the confusion that comes with being a dedicated horseplayer. Make sure you pick up your rule book before heading to the windows.

Santa Anita news

Watch carefully to see if the Santa Anita main track is very deep and slow on Thursday. The past two weeks following the off days the Santa Anita main track has produced very slow times with no discernable track bias.

• Trainer Bob Baffert will throw out the first pitch at Wednesday night’s Padres-Dodger game in Los Angeles. Arrogate gets the night off.

• When playing Santa Anita and all California Racing, make sure you take advantage of important FREE tools of the trade. You can pull up race replays on all races from California through the California Marketing Committee website www.calracing.com.

If you like to watch the workouts, make sure and check out the free videos at www.xbtv.com. There is quite a library of video workouts with the horses identified from both Santa Anita and Gulfstream Park. Very well done website.

• Apprentice Evin Roman came off a five-day suspension for careless riding last Friday only to get handed another six-day suspension for letting his mount Eskenforandreya drift out through the stretch and repeatedly bump eventual winner Agent Nine T Nine. The young kid has been putting other riders in danger and needs to learn before someone gets hurt.

Play of the Day

Santa Anita, Friday, April 7, race No. 7 – All That Heat (No. 6). In a race that should have plenty of pace, All That Heat has the versatility to stalk and pounce, and leading rider Flavien Prat to time the run.