(Note: GT sports editor Mark Mayer will assess the 35 college football teams on the LVH sports book list of OVER / UNDER win totals leading up to the Aug. 30 season openers.)
UCLA Bruins: Over / under 6 wins
Pleading the case:
• The Bruins underachieved under Rick Neuheisel, who himself could be argued was overrated as a head coach.
• The Bruins ranked 19th nationally in recruiting for the past five years, which may not be USC numbers but isn’t Tulane.
• There’s a buzz about redshirt freshman RB Steven Manfro, who is being called “White Mamba” for the way he moves all over the field.
• New coach Jim Mora brings a new attitude to campus and a solid resume.
• All the real difficult games are at home in the Rose Bowl. A nice, winnable opener on the road against Rice.
Prediction: OVER. If UCLA can avoid key injuries and find a decent QB who throws the ball beyond 10 yards, 7-5 is legitimate.
2012 UCLA Bruins Schedule
Thu, Aug 30 at Rice 7:30 pm
Sat, Sep 8 (24) Nebraska 7:30 pm
Sat, Sep 15 (18) Houston 10:30 pm
Sat, Sep 22 Oregon State TBA
Sat, Sep 29 at Colorado TBA
Sat, Oct 6 at California TBA
Sat, Oct 13 Utah TBA
Sat, Oct 27 at Arizona State TBA
Sat, Nov 3 Arizona TBA
Sat, Nov 10 at Washington State TBA
Sat, Nov 17 (6) USC TBA
Sat, Nov 24 (7) Stanford TBA
Head coach: Jim Mora