(Note: GT sports editor Mark Mayer will assess the 35 college football teams on the LVH sports book list of OVER / UNDER win totals leading up to the Aug. 30 season openers. Today: Texas 9).
Texas Longhorns Over / Under 9 wins
Pleading the case:
• The program has hit a dry spell and arch nemesis Oklahoma has been picked the preseason favorite to win the Big 12.
• Teams used to be intimidated going into Austin during the Mack Brown era. No more. West Virginia, Baylor and TCU will be tough.
• Quarterback situation has been dreadful in the years since Vince Young and Colt McCoy. Someone needs to emerge.
• Texas had four players named to preseason All-Big 12 team, but just one (RB Malcolm Brown) on offense.
• The Longhorn Network had a lot to do with Texas A&M leaving the conference. In-state teams get fired up playing Texas.
Prediction: UNDER. A 3-0 start is likely before a brutal 4-game stretch. Texas is capable of at least 9 wins, but under is safe play.
2012 Texas Longhorns (last year’s ranking)
Sat, Sep 1 Wyoming TBA--
Sat, Sep 8 New Mexico TBA --
Sat, Sep 15 at Mississippi 9:15 pm --
Sat, Sep 29 at (3) Oklahoma State TBA --
Sat, Oct 6 (17) West Virginia TBA --
Sat, Oct 13 at (16) Oklahoma TBA --
Sat, Oct 20 (13) Baylor TBA --
Sat, Oct 27 at Kansas TBA --
Sat, Nov 3 at Texas Tech TBA --
Sat, Nov 10 Iowa State TBA --
Sat, Nov 24 (14) TCU TBA --
Sat, Dec 1 at (15) Kansas State TBA --