(Note: GT sports editor Mark Mayer will assess the 35 college football teams on the LVH sports book list of OVER / UNDER win totals leading up to the Aug. 30 season openers. Today: Michigan 8½).
Michigan Wolverines Over / Under 8½ wins
Pleading the case:
• Michigan is in big trouble if they lose senior QB Denard Robinson, who led the team in TD’s, rushing and passing.
• Expectations may be too high after an 11-2 season under head coach Brady Hoke in the post Rich Rodriguez debacle.
• Opening with Alabama and ending with Ohio State makes for an exciting season, but one filled with land mines.
• Not enough Massachusetts games on the schedule. Michigan State comes to Ann Arbor and that won’t be a picnic.
• Assuming Michigan drops both to Bama and the Buckeyes, games at Notre Dame and Nebraska could also go in the L column.
Prediction: UNDER 8½. The ½ makes all the difference. The brutal schedule makes 8 wins more likely than 9.
2012 Michigan Wolverines schedule:
Sat, Sep 1 (1) Alabama Crimson Tide 8:00 pm--
Sat, Sep 8 Air Force Falcons 3:30 pm--
Sat, Sep 15 Massachusetts Minutemen 3:30 pm--
Sat, Sep 22 at Notre Dame Fighting Irish 7:30 pm--
Sat, Oct 6 at Purdue Boilermakers 4:00 pm--
Sat, Oct 13 Illinois Fighting Illini 3:30 pm--
Sat, Oct 20 (11) Michigan State Spartans TBA--
Sat, Oct 27 at (24) Nebraska Cornhuskers 8:00 pm--
Sat, Nov 3 at Minnesota Golden Gophers TBA--
Sat, Nov 10 Northwestern Wildcats TBA--
Sat, Nov 17 Iowa Hawkeyes TBA--
Sat, Nov 24 at Ohio State Buckeyes 12:00 pm--