(Note: GT sports editor Mark Mayer will assess the 35 college football teams on the LVH sports book list of OVER / UNDER win totals leading up to the Aug. 30 season openers. Today: Oregon).
Oregon Ducks Over / Under 10½ wins
Pleading the case:
• The Ducks lost their starting QB Darron Thomas and standout RB LaMichael James from last year’s Rose Bowl team.
• Oregon would have to beat both Southern Cal and Stanford in order to reach at least 11 wins.
• The Ducks are saying they will redshirt their top QB prospect, raising the possibility for a platoon system or one transferring.
• Oregon is not the preseason pick to win the Pac 12 for the first time in several years. Southern Cal gets the nod.
• The Ducks are now an elite program, no longer the hunter but the hunted. ASU, Cal and Oregon State could pull the upset at home.
Prediction: UNDER. How many 11-1 teams can there be? We’re figuring a loss to USC and another slipup that isn’t Stanford.
2012 Oregon Ducks schedule
Sat, Sep 1 Arkansas State Red Wolves 10:30 pm --
Sat, Sep 8 Fresno State Bulldogs 6:30 pm --
Sat, Sep 15 Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles 3:00 pm --
Sat, Sep 22 Arizona Wildcats TBA --
Sat, Sep 29 at Washington State Cougars TBA --
Sat, Oct 6 Washington Huskies TBA --
Thu, Oct 18 at Arizona State Sun Devils 9:00 pm --
Sat, Oct 27 Colorado Buffaloes TBA --
Sat, Nov 3 at (6) USC Trojans TBA --
Sat, Nov 10 at California Golden Bears TBA --
Sat, Nov 17 (7) Stanford Cardinal TBA --
Sat, Nov 24 at Oregon State Beavers TBA --