The best sports betting apps are live and legal in dozens of US states, and available to millions of bettors.
With more states legalizing online sports betting each year, the popularity of mobile sportsbook apps is soaring. There are now several great options to choose from, with a growing number of sports betting promos and bonuses available to both new and existing sportsbook customers.
Kentucky is the latest state to legalize online sportsbooks after Kentucky sports betting apps went live on Sept. 28.
Here at Gaming Today, our experts review and rank the best sports betting apps to help you pick the perfect sportsbook based on your personal preferences and needs.
Best Sportsbooks in October 2023
The top sportsbook apps are widely available in states with legal betting, are easy to use, and offer appealing sign-up bonuses.
See what helps them stand out above the competition and find the mobile sportsbook that’s perfect for you.
Best Loyalty Program
at Caesars Sportsbook
Best Loyalty Program
at Caesars Sportsbook
Use Promo Code
Best Mobile App Experience
at BetMGM Sportsbook
Best Mobile App Experience
at BetMGM Sportsbook
Up to $1,500
Use Bonus Code:
$10 and get $200 in Bonus Bets
MGM Resorts International
Best Sports-Based Profit Boosts
at BetRivers Sportsbook
Best Sports-Based Profit Boosts
at BetRivers Sportsbook
Second Chance Bet
Up To $500
Use Bonus Code:
Rush Street Interactive
Best for New Players
at FanDuel Sportsbook
Best for New Players
at FanDuel Sportsbook
Best Variety of Betting Markets
Best Variety of Betting Markets
Bet $1, Get $365 in Bonus Bets
Best For Ongoing Promotions
at DraftKings Sportsbook
Best For Ongoing Promotions
at DraftKings Sportsbook
Up to $1,250
Bet $5, Get
$50 Bonus Bet
Best for Exotic Bets
at PointsBet Sportsbook
Best for Exotic Bets
at PointsBet Sportsbook
Get Up to
Click to Claim
What Makes A Great Betting App?
Gaming Today’s betting experts have reviewed and ranked the best legal sports betting apps, identifying why they are elite options within a competitive marketplace.
Bettors may be overwhelmed by the number of sportsbooks offered in their state or wondering how to bet in general. Finding differences in one sports betting app compared to another may be challenging when there are more than a dozen to choose from.
Many states host the same sportsbook companies. Big brands — like BetMGM and FanDuel — pop up in most markets. However, some states have their own homegrown sportsbooks as well. Colorado has local sportsbooks like Bet Monarch, Sky Ute Sportsbook, and Bet Wildwood. Bettors will likely find a mixture of big brands and local companies available to them.
How We Rate Sports Betting Apps
Gaming Today ranks sportsbooks for bettors by examining the most important factors for customer experience. We only recommend legal mobile sportsbooks that are licensed and regulated in the state in which they operate. We do not recommend offshore or illegal sportsbooks.
Here are some of the most essential criteria in determining our rankings of the best sports betting apps:
- Welcome Bonuses: Some bettors want to know how many free credits they can get up front. They may stick with a sportsbook that offers a generous bonus in the beginning or prefer one that offers new promotions to existing customers more regularly. Reviewing any online sports betting app takes the app itself into account, too. Some apps are easier to navigate than others, and that can affect a new bettor’s chance of using it.
- Odds and Betting Lines: We compare sportsbook odds to help bettors find the best value for their wagers. Sportsbooks balance expected profit and risk differently, so bettors can find better odds on different parts of the line. Each sportsbook strikes this balance differently, but bettors can sign up with more than one mobile app to take advantage of line shopping. Line shopping for odds at multiple betting apps is the best way to ensure you get the most bang for your buck.
- Ease of Use: Some apps are easier to navigate than others, which impacts a new bettor’s chance of using it successfully and with ease. A frustrating user experience can instantly turn off any new — or advanced — user, so we put a special focus on app reliability and ease of use. Some sportsbooks are covered in promotions for their ongoing bonuses. Others use the space for betting lines and little else.
- Deposit and Withdrawal Options: The top legal sportsbooks offer various deposit and withdrawal options from banking, debit card, Venmo, PayPal, and even prepaid cards. Quick payouts are a major part of the navigation process. We recommend focusing on the fastest payout betting sites to ensure your funds are always easily available to you.
- Security: Having account security is paramount, both for protecting your funds and also your identity and payment information. With this in mind, we only recommend US-licensed sports betting operators from trusted regulators. Gaming Today has also vetted the security of each site and app to ensure there are proper encryption measures.
How The Best Sports Betting Apps Compare
It’s important to understand the benefits of each of the different sportsbooks. This gives you the ability to compare odds across the marketplace and claim all of the best sportsbook promos to new and existing users. Here are a few of the reasons why the top online apps are favorites of new and veteran bettors alike.
- Odds Boosts – It’s always a good idea to check the “Odds Boosts” section on the Caesars Sportsbook app. There’s usually at least one bet booster on a sport being played that day.
- Superior Market Depth – Caesars is among the top US sportsbooks when it comes to market depth as you can bet on everything from Aussie Rules Football to UFC.
- Caesars Rewards – The Caesars Rewards loyalty program is one of the top loyalty programs in the online sportsbook industry. One tier credit and one reward credit are earned for every $5 of profit you make on sports bets.
- Market and Betting Odds – BetMGM has terrific betting odds with player-friendly values for underdog bettors and folks who like placing wagers on their favorite team to win.
- Deposit and Withdrawal options – You can deposit money using platforms including PayPal and Skrill, credit or debit card transfers, transfers from your bank account, or even PayNearMe terminal deposits. You can also withdraw money using the exact same methods described above.
- Live Streaming – BetMGM’s live-streaming interface is smooth and functional, even on heavy traffic days.
- Top Welcome Bonus – New users can claim a second chance bet up to $500 ($100 in AZ, IA, NY, OH, & WV; $250 in CO & NJ) paid back in bet credits with code TODAYRIV.
- Betting Flexibility – BetRivers offers all the typical wager types from moneyline bets and spreads, while also introducing additional betting styles.
- Market Variety – BetRivers offers all the top league users want to see as well as more niche sports like tennis, UFC, and golf.
- Ease of App Use – As long as you’re within the borders of a legal sports betting state, you can take FanDuel Sportsbook mobile betting with you wherever you go.
- Competitive Odds – FanDuel gives bettors an opportunity to odds that are on par or better than competitors when it comes to the major sporting events in the US.
- Selection of Sports – FanDuel allows mainstream players to enjoy the staples such as NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, college football, and college basketball. Niche bettors will enjoy the chance to wager on Aussie Rules Football, cycling, table tennis, and more.
- Variety of Betting Markets – Great market depth and competitive odds.
- User Features – The in-play betting platform and live streaming allow you to follow thousands of events from across the globe and monitor the potential for live bets.
- Generous Welcome Offer – With bet365, you only have to make a deposit of $10 and bet $1. You’ll get $365 worth of bonus bets that you get to deploy however you want.
- Bonus Codes: Colorado – GTODAYCO, Iowa – GTODAYIOWA, New Jersey – GTODAYNJ, Ohio – GTODAYOH, Virginia – GTODAYVA
- Promotions at DraftKings – DraftKings offers some of the best bonus offers among the top sportsbooks. New users can claim up to $1,250 in bonuses + a Daily No Sweat Same Game Parlay.
- Quality of odds – Whatever your sport of choice is, the chances are good that DraftKings will offer odds on it
- East of App – DraftKings has one of the best apps for new and existing users to navigate and use. Bettors will find it just as easy to place a bet, make a deposit, or request a withdrawal on the app as they will on the web browser version on a computer/laptop.
- Unique Wagers – PointsBetting lets you win or lose progressively based on how right your bet is rather than win or lose outright.
- Overall ease of use – An excellent sports betting app overall featuring good betting markets, player-friendly odds, and smooth operation.
- Withdrawal options – PointsBet is one of the easiest sportsbooks to withdraw funds from. Withdrawals via ACH/eCheck usually take 1-2 business days to process. Once processed it takes 1-3 business days to reach your bank account.
Best Welcome Offers at Online Sportsbooks
|📱Sportsbook||⭐️ Why We Like It||💰Bonus Offer|
|📱Caesars||⭐️ Best Loyalty Program||💰 $1,000 First Bet on Caesars or
Use Code TODAY1000
|📱BetMGM||⭐️ Best Mobile App Experience||💰Get up to $1,500 in Bonus Bets with code TODAY OR GETTODAY for a Bet $10, Get $200 in Bonus Bets special|
|📱BetRivers||⭐️ Best Sports-Based Profit Boosts||💰Claim up to $500 with a Second Chance Bet Credit ($100 max in AZ, IA, NY, OH, & WV; $250 in CO & NJ)
Use Code TODAYRIV
|📱FanDuel||⭐️ Best for New Players||💰Bet $5, Get $200 in Bonus Bets|
|📱bet365||⭐️ Best Variety of Betting Markets||💰Bet $1, Get $365 in Bonus Bets|
|📱DraftKings||⭐️ Best Ongoing Promotions||💰Claim up to $1,250 in Bonuses|
|📱PointsBet||⭐️ Best for Exotic Bets||💰Get up to $1,000 in Second Chance Bets|
Bettors will encounter two main types of sportsbook promos: deposit bonuses and bonus bets. Deposit bonuses award site credits proportional to bettor deposits and wagers. Bonus bets refund lost wagers up to a certain amount in site credits.
Bettors shouldn’t rely on redeeming these bonuses at retail sportsbooks, though. Bonuses are tied to individual accounts. So, if a retail sportsbook doesn’t let a bettor sign in to an account, there’s no reason to think a bettor would be able to use an online bonus at a retail sportsbook.
Online sportsbooks offer ongoing bets that award bonus credits for (often) risky wagers in certain popular leagues. Sportsbook customers will also find bet boosts that offer better odds on (usually) risky wagers. They’re smaller than welcome bonuses, so don’t expect to collect thousands of dollars with them.
Top Sportsbook Promotions for Existing Customers
There’s a market even for users not looking for the best new betting apps. Here is a look at some of the best sportsbook promos and bonuses available for existing users at top sports betting apps.
**Most promotions and bonuses require opting in prior to placing bets. Other terms and conditions apply in addition to what’s detailed here.
Caesars Daily Odds Boosts:
- Though this isn’t a special Caesars Sportsbook promotion, getting daily odds boosts is a great way to take advantage of juiced lines. Caesars offers special boosts on specific games and events every day.
- Have friends ready to dive into the action? This Caesars Sportsbook promo allows you and your friend to score with a bonus bet. All you have to do is share your personal referral link. Once your friend signs up and deposits at least $50, you’ll receive a $100 bonus bet!
BetMGM College Football Parlay Insurance:
- You can also receive Bonus Bets if your college football Same Game Parlay loses by only one leg.
BetMGM Refer a Friend:
- Send your friend a Refer A Friend invitation, and once your friend signs up, gets verified, and meets our basic wagering requirement, you’ll both receive a $100 cash referral bonus!
BetRivers College Football Parlay Insurance:
- Place a real money, 4+ leg NCAAF parlay on Saturdays during the regular season. If exactly 1 leg loses you will receive your stake back as a Bonus Bet, up to $25. Players with a Loyalty Level of 7+ will receive a Bonus Bet up to $100.
FanDuel Refer a Friend:
- Invite friends to join Sportsbook and Casino and you’ll both get a $75 bonus – $50 in Sportsbook Bonus Bets and $25 in Casino site credits.
bet365 Same Game Parlay:
- Create the bet you want with Same Game Parlay. Available on a wide range of fantastic sports.
bet365 70% Multi-Sport Parlay Bonus:
- Available on ANY MMA bout plus top leagues worldwide for Football, Basketball, Hockey, and Baseball – up to 70% bonus for successful parlays.
PointsBet Same Game Parlay Combo:
- Want to step up your Same Game Parlay? The SGP Combo is here. Combine multiple SGP’s with single legs to build the ultimate pumped-up parlay.
- SGP’s, regular parlays, single bets – combine them all to boost your odds and maximize your payouts.
Latest Sports Betting News
September 28, 2023:
Kentucky sports betting is now fully live in the state. Online sports wagering launched in the Bluegrass State at 6 a.m. ET. A total of seven apps were licensed to launch in Kentucky on Sept. 28. Circa Sports Kentucky plans to launch a mobile application later this year.
September 7, 2023:
Kentucky officially became the 35th state with live sports betting when in-person wagering at retail sportsbooks launched at 10 a.m. ET. A total of nine brick-and-mortar locations throughout Kentucky began accepting wagers on Sept. 7.
August 31, 2023:
Fanatics Betting and Gaming closed on the first eight states in its previously announced acquisition of the U.S. businesses of PointsBet USA. Following regulatory approvals, Fanatics Betting and Gaming closed on the operating businesses of PointsBet USA in the following states: Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. As each state closes and officially becomes part of Fanatics Betting and Gaming, customers in such state will see PointsBet rebranded to “PointsBet, a Fanatics Experience”.
August 11, 2023:
Wynn Resorts announced it will close its online sports betting and iGaming platform, WynnBET, in certain jurisdictions. WynnBET will seek to cease operations in Arizona, Colorado, Indiana, Louisiana, New Jersey, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia as soon as possible. Operations in Nevada and Massachusetts will continue unaffected and operations in New York and Michigan remain under review.
“In light of the continued requirement for outsized marketing spend through user acquisition and promotions in online sports betting, we believe there are higher and better uses of capital deployment for Wynn Resorts shareholders,” said Julie Cameron-Doe, Chief Financial Officer of Wynn Resorts.
August 8, 2023:
ESPN announced an agreement with PENN Entertainment to launch ESPN BET, a branded sportsbook for fans in the United States. PENN Entertainment will rebrand its current sportsbook and relaunch as ESPN BET, effective this Fall in the 16 legalized betting states where PENN Entertainment is licensed. The rebrand includes the mobile app, website, and mobile website.
July 31, 2023:
Flutter Entertainment announced the decision to close the sports betting platform FOX Bet with a phased closure of FOX Bet’s operations set to take place between July 31 and Aug. 31, 2023. Flutter will retain ownership of PokerStars, in addition to US sports betting market leader FanDuel. FOX will continue to hold its option to acquire 18.6% of FanDuel and in addition holds a 2.5% stake in Flutter.
July 20, 2023:
Vermont has started the bid process for the selection of two to six mobile sports betting operators authorized by a sports betting law signed in June.
July 10, 2023:
The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission approved emergency regulations for Kentucky sports betting and announced that retail sports betting in the state will go live on September 7 with online sports betting set to launch on September 28.
June 27, 2023:
PointsBet Board announced it unanimously recommends Fanatics Betting and Gaming’s improved proposal of $225 million to acquire PointsBet’s US Business, representing a 50% or $75 million increase to prior bid. DraftKings was unable to finalize a binding offer by 6 p.m. (Melbourne time) June 27.
June 22, 2023:
WynnBET announced that its online casino and sports betting platform is live in the state of West Virginia. West Virginia is the 11th state where WynnBET is operational, and it represents the third state in which WynnBET offers its online casino, joining Michigan and New Jersey.
June 14, 2023:
Sports betting was legalized in both North Carolina and Vermont. In North Carolina, Gov. Roy Cooper signed the legislation to legalize online sports betting in the state, a move that will bring as many as 12 sportsbooks to the state in 2024. Vermont Gov. Phil Scott also signed his state’s legislatively-approved mobile sports betting bill into law. The state anticipates launching no later than Jan. 1, 2024 under the legislation.
June 8, 2023:
BetMGM announced the launch of its mobile sports betting app in Puerto Rico in partnership with Casino del Mar at La Concha Resort. Puerto Rico is the second market outside of the U.S. mainland for BetMGM’s mobile sports betting app. BetMGM was the first operator to debut regulated retail sports betting in Puerto Rico when it was legalized in February 2022.
May 14, 2023:
PointsBet and Fanatics announced in a joint statement they have reached an agreement for Fanatics to acquire the U.S. assets of Australia’s PointsBet in a $150 million deal. “While there are still several steps in the process to complete the acquisition, both parties are confident in the outcome,” the two sports betting companies said the statement.
May 9, 2023:
Vermont is set to become the next state to legalize sports betting after a bill received final passage by a House voice vote. Gov. Phil Scott has indicated he will sign the legislation (H.127) once it reaches his desk. That will put Vermont on track to have mobile sports betting up and running no later than Jan. 1, 2024.
March 31, 2023:
Kentucky became the 37th state to legalize sports betting when Gov. Andy Beshear signed House Bill 551 into law, less than 24 hours after state law makers voted to bring sports betting to the state. The legislation received final passage by a vote of 25-12 in the state Senate on Thursday, the last day of the legislative session, after passing the House by a super-majority vote of 63-34 on March 13.
Best New Sports Betting Sites & Apps
As more states legalize sports bettings, new betting sites are available across the US. Some operators offer different sportsbook bonuses depending on which state you are in.
You don’t necessarily have to be a resident of a legal state in order to place a wager, but you’ll need to be physically located within the legal state when making a mobile bet. Sportsbook apps have geolocation technology that prevents bets from being placed outside of legal states.
There’s so much excitement ahead for sports bettors across the US with new betting sites being added every month. We encourage you to find a new betting site (or two) to serve your needs.
Top Events to Wager On With Sports Betting Apps in October 2023
Whether you are interested in domestic sports like the NFL, NBA, NFL, and MLB, or want to wager on international events like soccer and rugby, the best sports betting apps in the business allow you to get in on all the best action across the world.
Here are some of the most popular sports betting events on the horizon.
2023 MLB Playoffs
The MLB playoffs get underway with 12 teams hoping to claim the World Series trophy. While the Houston Astros are looking to repeat, clubs such as the Rangers and the Rays are aiming to claim the championship for the first time in their respective franchise histories.
The first wild card games get underway on Oct. 3 and are best-of-three series. The Braves, Dodgers, Orioles and Astros get byes to the League Division Series. Those four teams will host Game 1s of the NLDS and ALDS starting Saturday.
Tuesday, Oct. 3
Game 1: No. 4 Rays vs. No. 5 Rangers, 3:08 p.m. ET, ABC
Game 1: No. 3 Twins vs. No. 6 Blue Jays, 4:38 p.m. ET, ESPN
Game 1: No. 3 Brewers vs. No. 6 Diamondbacks, 7:08 p.m., ESPN2
Game 1: No. 4 Phillies vs. No. 5 Marlins, 8:08 p.m., ESPN
Wednesday, Oct. 4
Game 2: No. 4 Rays vs. No. 5 Rangers, 3:08 p.m. ET, ABC
Game 2: No. 3 Twins vs. No. 6 Blue Jays, 4:38 p.m. ET, ESPN
Game 2: No. 3 Brewers vs. No. 6 Diamondbacks, 7:08 p.m., ESPN2
Game 2: No. 4 Phillies vs. No. 5 Marlins, 8:08 p.m., ESPN
Thursday, Oct. 5
Game 3*: No. 4 Rays vs. No. 5 Rangers, 3:08 p.m. ET, ABC
Game 3*: No. 3 Twins vs. No. 6 Blue Jays, 4:38 p.m. ET, ESPN
Game 3*: No. 3 Brewers vs. No. 6 Diamondbacks, 7:08 p.m., ESPN2
Game 3*: No. 4 Phillies vs. No. 5 Marlins, 8:08 p.m., ESPN
Best Sports Betting Apps for MLB Playoffs
Sunday Night Football: Cowboys at Niners
One of the most popular rivalries in the NFL takes centerstage this Sunday as the Dallas Cowboys travel to face the undefeated San Francisco 49ers. The Niners have rolled to four-straight wins with their latest victory being a 35-16 triumph over the Arizona Cardinals. That win extended San Francisco’s regular season win streak to 14-straight games dating back to Week 8 of the 2022 campaign.
Week 4 saw the Cowboys rebound from a loss to Arizona the week prior and demolish the New England Patriots 38-3, moving to 3-1 on the season.
Best Sports Betting Apps for Cowboys at Niners
Weekly NFL Odds
Best Sports to Bet On In the US
The NFL has long been the most popular sport to wager on in the US – as evidenced by the approximately $16 billion wager on Super Bowl 57, according to the American Gaming Association. While American football is king among North American bettors, several other major sports also have huge markets that make them attractive in the sports betting realm.
|🏆 Sport||📱Best Sports Betting Site||🏆 Championship Event||✅ Why We Like It|
|🏈 NFL||Best NFL Betting Sites||Super Bowl 58 on Feb. 11, 2024, at Allegiant Stadium in Paradise, Nevada.|
View Super Bowl odds
|With the NFL season quickly approaching, we help you find the best NFL sportsbooks and promo codes with top NFL Betting Sites.|
|🏀 NBA||Best NBA Betting Apps||NBA Finals scheduled to start on June 6, 2024.|
View NBA Finals odds
|We have detailed reviews of the best NBA betting sites for the 2023-24 season include a guide of the best odds and sports betting promotions.|
|⚾️ MLB||Best MLB Betting Sites||Game 1 of the 2023 World Series is scheduled for Friday, Oct. 27.|
View World Series odds
|The best MLB betting sites are easy to find with our in-depth reviews. Take advantage of sign-up offers as you choose the top online sportsbooks for baseball betting in 2023.|
|🏒NHL||Best NHL Betting Sites||The 2024 Stanley Cup finals is scheduled to start on June 16, 2024|
View Stanley Cup odds
|With the 2023-24 hockey season, we explore the best NHL betting apps that offer the most competitive odds.|
|🏉 College Football||Best College Football Betting Sites and Apps||College Football National Championship on January 8, 2024.|
View College Football Playoff odds
|The 2023 college football season is here and we break down what are the best college football betting sites and sportsbook apps.|
|⛹🏻♂️College Basketball||Best College Basketball Betting Sites||NCAA championship game on April 8 at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.|
View March Madness odds
|Another exciting season of college basketball is on the horizon and we break down the best college basketball betting sites in 2023.|
What To Look For When Choosing a Sports Betting App
The best online betting apps have a few things in common:
- They’re available in states with favorable online sports betting laws.
- They offer terrific welcome bonuses and promotions for existing customers, too.
- The best sportsbook apps also offer some of the best odds and a wide variety of bet types. Sportsbooks balance expected profits against the odds they offer. Each one strikes this balance differently, but bettors can sign up with more than one sportsbook to take advantage of line shopping.
- Some sportsbooks, like DraftKings, have a large variety of sports available to bet on. Smaller local sportsbooks may not have that same selection.
- Security is important. How safe is the betting app? We ensure each platform is safe before recommending it.
- Finally, bettors may be swayed by how easy sportsbook apps are to navigate. Some are covered in promotions for their ongoing bonuses. Others use the space for betting lines and little else.
There’s more to sportsbook apps than these few factors, but this will get new bettors started as they begin to judge sportsbooks for themselves.
App Store Reviews: How Sportsbooks Are Rated by Mobile Users
|Sportsbook App||iOS||Android||App Store Reviews|
|BetMGM Sportsbook||Yes||Yes||4.8 (21k ratings)|
|Caesars||Yes||Yes||4.5 (3.6k ratings)|
|BetRivers Sportsbook||Yes||Yes||4.6 (223 ratings)|
|FanDuel Sportsbook||Yes||Yes||4.7 (113k ratings)|
|WynnBET Sportsbook||Yes||Yes||3.9 (140 ratings)|
|PointsBet Sportsbook||Yes||Yes||4.5 (2.4k ratings)|
|Golden Nugget||Yes||Yes||3.7 (328 ratings)|
|DraftKings Sportsbook||Yes||Yes||4.8 (194k ratings)|
Mobile Sports Betting 101
Mobile sports betting apps are convenient ways for sportsbooks to reach bettors. New bettors only need a few basics to get started. You first need to create an account and download the app, deposit funds, then select betting markets to wager on.
The mechanics of mobile sports betting are easy. Bettors can find popular sports — like NFL football — and more obscure sports, like darts, as well. Moneyline wagers (on which team or individual athlete will win an event), point spreads, and point totals are among the most common types of bets.
Many sportsbooks have player and game props, plus live betting available for in-game wagering. Bettors can cash in on the best odds in real-time.
How To Use Mobile Sports Betting Apps
Are you new to sports betting? Getting set up with a new sportsbook is usually a quick and painless procedure. Here are the steps bettors need to go through to place their first bets on a sportsbook app.
Download the Sportsbook App
You can download the sportsbook app from the App Store or the Android link on the sportsbook’s website. Android users can download their favorite sportsbooks from the operator’s official website. Downloading, in either case, should be quick and mostly automatic.
Register for a Sports Betting Account
Select “Register” and complete the registration process. Usually, this consists of creating a username and password, then providing an email, social security number, and a few other pieces of identifying information. But sometimes sportsbook apps will ask for more verification steps, like sending a utility bill. (Something to research before selecting a sportsbook.)
Fund Your New Account
Deposit funds by going to the account section, selecting ‘Deposit’, then a payment method and amount. We have a rundown of the best sportsbooks that accept credit cards as a payment method.
When funding your account, be aware of any opening bonuses that may apply to your situation. Sportsbook operators frequently provide generous and attractive opening bonuses for new account holders. These bonuses may give you up to hundreds of dollars of site credit that you can use to place your initial wagers.
There are a variety of ways you can fund your account. One of the easiest and most secure ways to make a sports betting deposit is through PayPal. Several of the top sportsbooks are also among the best PayPal betting sites.
Place A Wager With A Sports Betting App
After funding your account, you’ll be set to place a wager. Simply navigate through your chosen sportsbook’s betting lines and markets to find a wager that suits your fancy and start betting.
Place a wager, but pay attention to bonus terms. Deposit bonuses can come with funky terms, too. Check the fine print before trying to use a bonus.
Apple iOS Betting Apps
Getting an app for sports betting onto the App Store requires operators to jump through a few hoops. For example, sportsbook operators had to change their code from HTML5 to iOS. (That’s the least technical way to explain it, anyway.)
Gambling apps must also come with a 17+ rating, which is a much smaller obstacle than a new expensive coding requirement. That’s bad news for apps like BetRivers that have separate apps for each state they’re allowed to operate in. It was unsustainable before that requirement, but this new policy could push them to eventually adopt a single app.
Android Betting Apps
In the past, Google didn’t allow sportsbook apps on the Google Play store. This is changing, with DraftKings being the first app to be available for download directly from the Google Play Store. FanDuel, Caesars, BetMGM, WynnBET, and BetRivers also launched direct download in March 2021. Some of these apps only have direct downloads available in certain states. It will take some time for this process to roll out. Until an app is available for direct download, you will need to visit the website of the sportsbook and download the Android app from there
Legal Sports Betting Apps vs. Offshore Sportsbooks
Mobile sports betting is the most convenient way to place a sports bet. With legal sports betting apps, you don’t need to be in-person at a retail site in order to place a wager. You can bet securely from your phone, computer, or laptop.
In addition to being able to take advantage of sportsbook bonuses and the flexibility to bet from anywhere, sports betting apps offer the best security for bettors.
Among the top reasons bettors are choosing legal operators over illegal operators are confidence bets will be paid out (71%), trust in account security and easier payment options (68%), and availability of responsible gaming resources (58%).
Simply put, illegal betting sites are not worth the risk. They have subpar digital security, and any personal information you provide will be highly vulnerable as well. Furthermore, nothing is stopping an offshore betting site from taking any money you provide to your account. There won’t even be a regulatory body to appeal to because, technically, you’d be breaking the law.
Even worse, most offshore betting sites don’t include player-friendly odds or excellent promotions. Fully licensed and regulated sportsbooks provide better sports betting experiences for their users, as well as much better digital security.
It’s hard to beat mobile sports betting’s convenience.
How Mobile Sports Betting Apps Compare to Desktop Betting Sites
Since most sportsbook apps have website counterparts, bettors may be wondering what the differences between them are. If bettors are just placing bets and using the app’s core functions, the website differences will be cosmetic in nature.
Whether you prefer mobile betting or desktop betting is largely a matter of perspective based on ease of use. Both offer good technology and user experiences. Where mobile apps allow you to check odds and claim betting promotions from anywhere, desktop betting sites offer a stable, often faster, internet connection as well as easier navigation with its larger screen and ability to have multiple tabs open at one time.
Bettors should also watch whether sportsbook apps are offered on iOS and Android. Most major sportsbook brands do. Some smaller brands do not.
|📱Mobile Apps Pros||📱Mobile Apps Cons||💻 Desktop Sites Pros||💻 Desktop Sites Cons|
|✅ Convenience||❌ Smaller Screen||✅ Larger Screen||❌ Not as portable|
|✅ Portability||❌ Slower Public WiFi||✅ Easier Navigation||❌ Less convenient|
|✅ More Bonuses||❌ Tougher Navigation||✅ Better technology|
|✅ Account Notifications||✅ Multiple Browser Tabs|
How Mobile Sports Betting Apps Compare to Retail Sportsbooks
Online sports betting apps offer a less immersive experience than a retail sportsbook. But that shouldn’t be surprising. Take away the TVs, lounge, and bar, and suddenly sports betting feels more strategic than social.
While retail sportsbooks offer an entertaining environment and is more user friendly to old-school bettors who may not be as tech savvy, online sports betting is far and away the more convenient option. Betting online means you can bet anywhere without encountering transportation costs, traffic congestions, or sitting in lines to bet or cash tickets.
Online wagering also means being able to shop betting lines and perform analysis more efficiently while also being able to take advantage of the various sportsbook bonus offers.
|📱Mobile Sports Betting||🏫 Retail Sports Betting|
|✅ Portability||✅ Less technical|
|✅ No Travel Required||✅ More Social|
States With Legal Online Sports Betting
Currently, online sports betting is legal and regulated in the following US states:
Massachusetts became the most recent state to go live with mobile sports betting. Six of the best sportsbook apps launched in the state on March 10, 2023.
- Arizona – Regulated by Arizona Department of Gaming
- Colorado – Regulated by Colorado Division of Gaming
- Connecticut – Regulated by the Connecticut Lottery
- Illinois – Regulated by Illinois Gaming Board
- Indiana – Regulated by Indiana Gaming Commission
- Iowa – Regulated by Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission
- Kansas – Regulated by the Kansas Lottery
- Kentucky – Regulated by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission
- Louisiana – Regulated by the Louisiana Gaming Control Board
- Maryland – Regulated by the Maryland State Lottery & Gaming Control Agency
- Massachusetts – Regulated by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission
- Michigan – Regulated by Michigan Gaming Control Board
- Nevada – Regulated by Nevada Gaming Control Board
- New Hampshire – Regulated by New Hampshire Lottery
- New Jersey – Regulated by NJ Division of Gaming Enforcement
- New York – Regulated by the New York State Gaming Commission
- North Carolina – North Carolina Education Lottery
- Ohio – Regulated by the Ohio Lottery Commission
- Oregon – Regulated by Oregon Lottery
- Pennsylvania – Regulated by Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board
- Tennessee – Regulated by Tennessee Lottery
- Vermont – Regulated by Vermont Department of Liquor and Lottery
- Virginia – Regulated by Virginia Lottery
- West Virginia – Regulated by West Virginia Lottery
- Washington, DC – Regulated by DC Lottery
- Wyoming – Regulated by Wyoming Gaming Commission
States With Retail Sportsbooks
Generally, sports betting can be broken into two categories: online and retail. When a state legalizes sports betting, it may choose to legalize both categories or only one of the two. With the exception of Tennessee (which allows only online sports betting), it’s far more common for states to legalize retail sportsbooks before the online options become available.
Typically, a retail sportsbook is a brick-and-mortar location inside a casino where bettors can place in-person wagers on sports games and events. While the idea behind an online sports betting app is essentially the same, it allows you to place bets remotely from anywhere within state lines.
These states have legal retail sportsbooks in 2023:
- Nebraska (although none have launched yet)
- New Hampshire
- New Mexico
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
- South Dakota
- Washington State
- Washington, DC
- West Virginia
Next States to Launch Legal Sports Betting Apps
For in-depth updates on the status of legal sports betting in your state, visit our breakdown of states with legal sports betting. Sports betting legislation is under consideration in several US states, including California. Even more conservative states, like Texas, are considering the legalization of mobile sportsbook apps. With the current momentum, it’s likely that more states will legalize online sports betting in the coming years.
- Launch date: September 2023 (retail and mobile)
- In a surprise move, Kentucky state lawmakers approved legislation on March 30, 2023 that will bring legal sports betting to the Bluegrass State. The bill was signed into law by Gov. Andy Beshear on March 31, officially making Kentucky the 37th state to offer sports betting.
- Kentucky sports betting went live with retail sports betting on Sept. 7, 2023. Online sports betting launched on Sept. 28, 2023. House Bill 551 created up to 27 online sportsbooks tied to the state’s horse racing tracks and their licensed operations with three mobile sports betting apps per track. Retail sportsbooks will also be allowed at the tracks, as well as at off-track betting sites through contracts with the tracks.
- Expected launch date: November 2023
- Maine sports betting is expected to launch in November 2023, the state’s Gambling Control Unit announced in July.
- The legislation was signed by Gov. Janet Mills in May of 2022 and officially became law on Aug. 2, 2022. Following a public hearing in January and a public comment period that concluded last month, the Gambling Control Unit said final rules have now been submitted to the Maine Attorney General’s Office for legal review, “with an anticipated adoption in November 2023.”
- Expected launch date: 2024
- Vermont sports betting is about to become a reality. A Vermont sports betting bill received final passage by a House voice vote on May 9, 2023 and Gov. Phil Scott signed his state’s legislatively-approved mobile sports betting bill into law on June 14, 2023. The bill will allow the state’s Department of Liquor and Lottery (DLL) to negotiate contracts with no fewer than two and no more than six sportsbook operators in the Vermont sports betting market.
- The state anticipates launching sometime in 2024 under the legislation.
- Expected launch date: 2024
- Online sports betting in North Carolina is expected to launch sometime in 2024. North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper signed the state’s mobile sports betting bill into law during an appearance at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte on June 14, 2023. Pursuant to one of those amendments, mobile sports betting in North Carolina will launch within 12 months of Cooper’s signature. The North Carolina Lottery will determine the specific go-live date.
- Expected launch date: TBD
- Legalizing sports betting in Texas is an uphill climb. In Texas, gambling is outlawed due to a constitutional provision, not a regularly passed law. As a result, passing any bill will be quite difficult. It not only would need two-thirds support in the House of Representatives and Senate, it also needs to go on a ballot and receive approval from voters.
- Expected launch date: TBD
- California had two sports betting bills on the ballot in November 2022 (Props 26 and 27). They were rejected by voters, though, and California sports betting has no estimated timeline at this stage.
Alternatives to Sports Betting
If you are physically located in a state without legal online sports betting, there are a few other options available to you. You can play DFS in most states. You can also play at Fliff in every state. Fliff operates like a social or sweepstakes casino, where you play with fake currency that can be redeemed for cool prizes.
Sports Betting Apps FAQ
There are many excellent sports betting apps to choose from. Gaming Today recommends BetMGM, FanDuel, and Caesars Sportsbook as top options for both novice and expert bettors. The best mobile sportsbooks offer a wide selection of promotions and bonuses, highly competitive odds, a vast amount of betting markets, fast payouts, several banking methods, a user-friendly app interface, and much more.
Yes, it’s legal to bet on sports online if you are in one of the states with legal betting. Sports betting apps are legal in more than two dozen states and we expect to see more join this group in the near future. You do not need to live in a state where sports betting is legal to bet on sports, but you must be physically located within the state to place a legal wager. Remember to take part in responsible gaming and play within your limits.
Top sportsbooks like BetMGM, Caesars, FanDuel, and DraftKings are all good sports betting apps that boast great market depth and betting odds for wagering on sports. BetMGM in particular has player-friendly values for both underdog bettors and more ambitious folks who like to place wagers.
Each sports betting app offers unique odds on moneyline bets, point spreads, totals bets, player props, and more. Compare the latest sports betting odds for your favorite picks to discover which sportsbook offers the highest payout for any particular wager. BetMGM and FanDuel have reputations for offering the most competitive odds in the industry, but it’s important to shop for the best lines by registering with multiple mobile sportsbooks.
Sports bettors have a few options to land bonus offers in 2023. Caesars Sportsbook and BetMGM have terrific rewards programs that build redeemable loyalty points as you use their sports betting apps. This includes betting credits and special offers at Caesars and BetMGM resorts.
Alternatively, Fliff is a social sportsbook that allows users to claim free Fliff Cash, which can be used to win real money and prizes. Fliff Cash is awarded with no purchase necessary.
Sports betting apps give users the ability to place wagers as well as being able to make deposits, withdrawals, and set wagering limits for themselves. You can wager on major sports like the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB and also bet on niche sports such as cricket and darts. You can also track you losses and betting history on a mobile app.
The top sports betting apps for newcomers include household names like BetMGM, Caesars Sportsbook, BetRivers, and FanDuel. Each of these mobile sportsbooks offers terrific welcome bonuses for new users and promotions for existing customers as well. They offer competitive odds, plenty of betting options, quick payouts, and much more. Check out each review to find the sportsbooks that are perfect for you.
The most successful sports bettors have good, consistent habits. The smartest way to bet includes researching betting trends, modeling analytics for performance, line shopping for the best odds, and understanding the value of point spreads. Our odds calculator can help you become a sharper bettor.
Betting on the moneyline favorite is usually the safest type of straight bet. Moneyline wagers are bets that can be placed on one team or player winning a match outright over another. They don’t factor in point spreads or point totals. However, moneyline bets on the favorite will typically offer lower returns because they are safer plays than betting on an underdog.
We have reviewed every legal sports betting app and find Caesars Sportsbook, and FanDuel to be the best-rated apps for reliability. Each of these mobile sportsbooks has tremendous ratings in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store. With excellent customer service and security features, they’re among the top choices for bettors around the world.
There are currently more than 20 states with legal online sports betting. Massachusetts launched legal online sportsbooks on March 10, 2023. In addition to these states, five others allow retail sports betting only.
Yes, you can cash out bonus bet winnings, but you cannot cash out the bonus bet itself. After receiving a bonus bet, you must win a wager placed with your bonus bet before being able to cash out. Some sportsbooks have rollover requirements for deposit bonuses so it’s important to learn details of your bonus offers to understand when you can first cash out.