Betting on horse racing has been a popular activity for hundreds of years. Today, it’s easier than ever to wager on horse racing using mobile apps or online horse race betting sites.
Most states in the US allow you to bet on horse racing online and many of them have also legalized sports betting in general.
Let’s examine the top three horse betting apps that are available on the market now as we near the end of the 2022 Triple Crown. The Belmont Stakes marks the final race on Saturday, June 11, at Belmont Park on Long Island.
Kentucky Derby winner Rich Strike is scheduled to compete in the final leg of the Triple Crown, which should give the race some added juice after he missed the Preakness Stakes.
Editors Choice For Best Horse Racing Apps
- TVG: Best For Overall Horse Betting App
- BetMGM: Best For Odds
- Caesars Racebook: Best For Rewards Program
Best Online Horse Race Betting Apps & Sites for 2022
Check out these sites for the best betting markets and sign-up bonuses for horse racing.
- Visit to claim Bonus Offer: $200 – Get your first single-horse win wager up to $200 back if you lose. Use promo code: 200TVG
- Platforms: Desktop, iOS, Android
- Why We Like This App: Well-designed app, lots of betting choices, good live streaming
TVG is a market leader among apps in the horse betting space, and it has the distinction being the first legal horse racing app in the US. TVG is an official wagering partner of all three Triple Crown races: Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, and Belmont Stakes.
TVG offers wagering and HD live streaming at more than 300 tracks across the world. You’ll also have exclusive insider access to TVG network and handicapping info.
- Visit to claim Bonus Offer: 100% deposit match up to $200
- Platforms: Desktop, iOS, Android
- Why We Like This App: To start, BetMGM offers horse race betting in Louisiana, Florida, and Ohio, but we expect additional expansion, including places like New York, California, and Michigan.
The BetMGM Horse Racing app gives you much more than the ability to bet. You’ll also find live streaming video, race replays, and horse racing content that is updated on a daily basis.
All of the major races in the US including the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, and Belmont Stakes are available to bet on at BetMGM Horse Racing. You can also access a live stream of races from international events like Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe and The Grand National.
- Bonus Offer: TBA
- Platforms: Desktop, iOS, Android
- Why We Like This App: safe and secure, hundreds of tracks to bet at, variety of bet types
Caesars Sportsbook and NYRA Bets partnered to launch this new mobile betting app for horse racing, which will be available soon for both Apple and Android users.
The app will eventually be available in the 30 states in which NYRA operates. When the app is released, bettors will have access to more than 250 horse racing tracks.
Caesars Racebook, which also gives users access to handicapping tips and race replays, allows users to watch and wager on computers, too.
Betting On The Triple Crown Races
All three of these apps are great options for betting on the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, and Belmont Stakes. Those races make up horse racing’s Triple Crown, and they are by far the most popular on the calendar (apologies to the Breeders’ Cup).
Rich Strike pulled off one of the biggest upsets in horse racing history by winning the 2022 Kentucky Derby on May 7 at Churchill Downs. At odds of 80-1, Rich Strike defeated favored horses such as Epicenter, Zandon, Taiba, and Messier in stunning fashion. Rich Strike was the second longest shot to win in the 148-year history of the Kentucky Derby. In 1913, Donerail scored a Derby victory at 91-1.
There’s nothing more exhilarating than betting on the Kentucky Derby, which is known worldwide for being the fastest two minutes in sports. Prior to the 2022 Kentucky Derby, we ran this piece on the five biggest upsets in recent years. You can watch the race broadcast for each, too.
Epicenter, who finished second in the Kentucky Derby, was the betting favorite in the Preakness Stakes. The 147th running of the Preakness Stakes was by won Early Voting in late May. Epicenter was again the runnerup.
The Preakness took a hit when Kentucky Derby winner Rich Strike was withdrawn from the race. That development meant that horse racing would not have a Triple Crown winner for the fourth consecutive season. The last horse to win the Triple Crown was Justify in 2018.
The Belmont Stakes, which will run on June 11 at Belmont Park, is the final race in the Triple Crown, and it is the longest at 1-1/2 miles. That is a grueling distance for many horses. The Belmont has been nicknamed “the test of the champion” as a result.
This year’s starting field for the Belmont Stakes was set on June 7 during the post position draw. Kentucky Derby winner Rich Strike was among the eight horses in the field, but he wasn’t the betting favorite.
2022 Belmont Stakes Morning Line Odds
|1||We The People||Flavien Prat||Rodolphe Brisset||2-1|
|2||Skippylongstocking||Manuel Franco||Saffie Joseph Jr.||20-1|
|3||Nest||Jose Ortiz||Todd Pletcher||8-1|
|4||Rich Strike||Sonny Leon||Eric Reed||7-2|
|5||Creative Minister||Brian Hernandez Jr.||Kenny McPeek||6-1|
|6||Mo Donegal||Irad Ortiz Jr.||Todd Pletcher||5-2|
|7||Golden Glider||Dylan Davis||Mark Casse||20-1|
|8||Barber Road||Joel Rosario||John Ortiz||10-1|
We The People was the 2-1 favorite on the morning line. He won the Peter Pan Stakes over a wet track at Belmont last month. There is a 40% chance of rain on Saturday, and that might help his cause in the Belmont Stakes.
Mo Donegal is also among the favorites in the Belmont. He won the Wood Memorial and finished fifth in the Kentucky Derby.
Rich Strike benefitted from a blistering pace before closing in magnificent fashion at the Kentucky Derby. The pace is expected to be much slower in the Belmont as We The People is the lone speed horse in the race.
Keep an eye on new Triple Crown entrant Nest. She’s the only filly in the Belmont field after her second-place run in the Kentucky Oaks last month.
What States Offer Online Horse Race Betting?
More than 40 states in the US allow either in-person or online horse race betting. Before the removal of PASPA in 2018, the states that allowed horse race betting were largely those that already had horse racetracks and whose state revenue benefited greatly from its inclusion. As a result, states like Kentucky, New York, and California have allowed online and retail horse race betting for many years now.
Recently, states such as New Jersey and Colorado have legalized both regular sports betting and online horse race betting, provided you sign up with a licensed sportsbook.
What Types Of Bets Are Available On Online Horse Betting Sites In The US?
Horse race betting operates on a pari-mutuel basis. You’re not competing against the house but rather your fellow gamblers. All of the money from individual gamblers goes into one pool.
Rather than having odds be calculated by professional statisticians called oddsmakers, horse race betting odds are calculated based on how much money is bet overall. Payoff odds are calculated by sharing the total money in the pool among all winning bets (after taxes and the vigorish have been collected).
With online horse race betting, there are several different types of bets that you can make.
Single Horse Wagers: Win, Place, Show
Single horse bets have you place your wager on an individual horse’s race result.
- Win wagers mean you wager that your chosen horse will win the race outright
- Place wagers mean that your horse must come in either first or second place
- Show wagers mean your horse can come in first, second, or third place and you’ll win
You also have the option of betting a single horse “across the board” and that means you’ll collect win, place, and show money if he wins the race. This option is tantamount to making three different bets, so you’ll pay three times as much for the privilege!
Naturally, multi-horse wagers mean placing a bet on multiple horses.
- Exacta wagers have you pick two horses that must finish in first and second place and in the correct order to win
- Trifecta wagers are similar to exacta wagers but you have to pick three horses in the correct order
- Superfecta wagers have you pick four horses. Each horse must come in the wagered place (first, second, third, or fourth) for you to win the bet
With each of these wager types, gamblers can “box” their bets, meaning they bet more than once to cover multiple finishing orders. Again, this form of insurance also requires doling out more cash at the betting window.
Multi-race wagers have you place bets on the outcomes or places of horses over more than one race. Examples include:
- Daily doubles. This wager revolves around picking the winner of back-to-back races. In thoroughbred horse racing, there will typically be two daily doubles on the race card. There’s an early double (races 1 and 2) and a late double (races 9 and 10) available to bet on.
- Pick 5/6 wagers. With these wagers, sports bettors will pick the winner of multiple races at a particular track during the day.
Exotic bets are more complex than straight bets. A good example of an exotic bet in the superfecta, which requires to you to pick the top four horses in a race (in the correct order). The Pick-6 wager referenced above can also be considered an exotic bet. Bettors will often place small wagers using multiple horses in each race to try and land a big payout from picking six winners in a row.
What Types Of Bonuses Are Available When Betting On Horse Races Online?
To entice new bettors, horse race sites and betting apps usually offer welcome bonuses. Some are relatively small but others can significantly build your bankroll right out of the gate.
Deposit match bonuses will match your initial deposit (and no other deposits, so choose your first funding wisely) with site credit. For example, a 100% deposit match bonus up to $200 will potentially let you start wagering with up to $400 of app credit. TVG offers a 50% deposit match bonus up to $250.
A risk-free bet promotion will cover you in the event that your first wager goes south. This is great for new players but doesn’t kick in if your first wager is successful.
Free bets are quick and easy to access. They just give you some site credit for opening an account without any strings attached. However, usually need to take advantage of the extra credit within seven days or so.
For many of these bonuses, note that you’ll need to “play through” any awarded site credit one or more times before you can withdraw your winnings. In the above TVG example, you have to play through your deposit match credit at least once before you can withdraw any winnings you get from wagering that credit in a bet.
Popular US Horse Racing Events
The most popular horse racing events in the US are the Triple Crown races: Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, and Belmont Stakes. They span a little more than a month’s time in May and June.
- Kentucky Derby: This “Run for the Roses” takes place on the first Saturday in May at Churchill Downs in Louisville.
- Preakness Stakes: The second leg of the Triple Crown is held at Maryland’s Pimlico Race Course two weeks after the Kentucky Derby.
- Belmont Stakes: The final leg of the Triple Crown takes place three weeks after the Preakness Stakes at Belmont Park in New York.
- The Breeders’ Cup attracts the best thoroughbred horses from across the world. The two-day event paid out $31 million in purse money last year at Del Mar Racetrack in California. The biggest race on the card is the Breeders’ Cup Classic, which Knicks Go won last year.
Popular International Horse Racing Events
TVG and other horse racing apps also allow you to place bets on international horse racing events. Some of these include:
- Dubai World Cup: Broadcast on TVG, this race card rivals the Breeders’ Cup for the largest purse in the world.
- Epsom Derby: This event started in 1870 and served as the inspiration for the Kentucky Derby.
- Prix de l’arc de Triomphe: This is another high-profile event that takes place near Paris in the fall.
All three of the biggest horseracing sites mentioned earlier – TVG, BetMGM Horse Racing, and Caesars Racebook – allow you to wager on these international events.
Is Online Horse Race Betting Legal In The US?
Yes, but it’s up to individual states as to whether they will allow it. Under a provision of the Unlawful Internet Gaming Enforcement Act, states could decide whether they wanted to legalize horse race betting or not.
Is It Safe To Bet On A Legal Online Horse Betting Site?
Yes, as long as the betting site is licensed and regulated. These horse betting sites including TVG, BetMGM Horse Racing, and Caesars Racebook are safe thanks to their high-quality digital security and the regulation they receive from state gaming commissions. Conversely, illegal horse betting sites cannot be trusted with your money or personal information due to inferior digital security systems.
How Do You Register At Online Horse Race Betting Sites In The US?
There are multiple ways in which you can register for an online horse racing site or app in the US.
Desktop sites have the easiest registration process by far. You can visit the desktop site of your chosen horse race betting operator and click “Register”. Then you’ll need to provide some personal information like your date of birth, address, and Social Security number.
Once the site verifies your identity and age, you’ll be allowed to fund the account through a variety of deposit methods. Once funding is complete, be sure to take advantage of any opening bonus that may apply and begin betting!
iOS Device Registration
Apple makes it easy to register for a horse race betting app on any iOS device:
- Simply type the name of the betting app in the App Store’s search bar. This will take you to a download page
- Download the app and let it install on your device
- Then follow the same registration process as outlined above. Provide personal information like your address and age
- The app will automatically install geolocation software. The geolocation software will make sure you only use the app in your registered state.
Android Device Registration
If you have an Android device, you may need to follow a slightly more complex process to register for your horse race betting app of choice:
- The Google Play Store began allowing gambling apps on its platform in early 2021, but not all horse race betting apps are listed. That means your best bet is to visit the desktop site using your Android device.
- Find the link to either the Google Play store or to download the app directly to your device from the website.
- The download should begin automatically. You may need to allow a .apk file access to your phone.
- Once the installation is complete, follow the same registration process as above. Geolocation software will also be installed.
What Options Are There To Deposit and Withdraw At Online Horse Betting Sites?
Horse race betting sites and apps typically provide a variety of deposit and withdrawal methods. Many people opt to use Visa or Mastercard debit or credit cards.
Other options can include prepaid debit cards, like Visa gift cards. You can also use your online bank account and connect it to your horse race betting account.
PayPal, Skrill, and PayNearMe are also alternatives, but check your horse betting site to be sure what methods are currently available.
Online Horse Race Betting FAQs
Technically, yes. But it’s up to individual states to determine whether they want to offer online horse race betting within their borders. Most states do allow online horse race betting.
You’ll need to be 21 years of age or older to place wagers in most states.
We recommend TVG, BetMGM Horse Racing, and Caesars Racebook for the best customer experiences.
Most online horse racing sites and apps will let you watch various races using live stream interfaces. You can also often go to sports sites that host horse racing live streams.
Yes, provided you place a wager in a state with legalized online horse race betting.
Yes at the federal level. However, some states do not allow TVG or any online horse race betting.